Thursday, July 3, 2008

#101 Granny Will You Wake Up?

She's now in the ICU; assisted breathing and blood pressure. Yesterday, my younger brother and I went to the hospital later than planned. I'm glad for the seemingly bad timing, even though we couldn't really get to see her fully conscious.

Granny was vomitting, already semi-conscious.

After holding the basin awhile and letting her get things out of her system, we thought she was fine when she dozed off. Mom told us to go get our dinner then go home, but I still wanted to stay.

Glad I did.

From that point onwards, granny's health deteriorated rapidly. Within 15mins, granny could no longer respond to us consciously. Within 5 hours, she was wheeled into the ICU. Since 3am, doctors have told us twice to be prepared for the worst.

And only at 3am yesterday, 2 days after admission and months of regular check up, we found out that the immediate (and life-threatening) danger was renal failure and that she needed immediate dialysis.

By then her blood pressure had dropped too low to be able to undergo dialysis.

Why, after regular check-ups and warnings of a weak kidney, we were not told to keep aware that her kidney could fail at anytime, was the question that burned in my mind. Instead, we were told her kidney was fine.

Looking at all the tubes inserted into her frail, thin body and seeing her in that state put me at a loss for words.

At 1.30am on Tuesday, I could only wait. Two days later, at the same timing on Thursday, I could only wait.

Right now her life hangs in the balance from something she had no mental preparation about.

Thanks for everyone who prayed for her. If you can, I would really appreciate if you continued to do so. The reason why I put her name down in the sms was that I know that the Lord knows her by name, even if we may not.

No comments: