Saturday, August 16, 2008

#129 Today...

Or rather yesterday (Saturday) was an experience to say the least.

The bbq went well... except for a few oversights. However the thing which really got to me is this;

How come so many do not reply to repeated announcements about the bbq or do not attend it after indicating they will attend?

There are some exceptions I would like to mention of, such as Jovin and Jeff, both of who replied and were very consistent with their words. (A few others responded pretty promptly too)

But, what about the rest? I have no doubt Jerrome and Jaslyn can testify the effort each of us put in to making it succeed, not to mention the cost. All that effort caused me to crash out in burnout and I almost couldn't make it at all.

But since all's past I'm not going to point fingers or anything, just that I want to make a few points.

1. Preparing the bbq took effort, whether logistics, food-wise or planning. Much effort was wasted in one-way communication and preparing extra food in the likelihood that some who did not reply attended; effort that could have been spent elsewhere.

2. We basically had to throw away half of the food prepared at the end.

3. Respect. Perhaps we aren't the closest of buddies. But we cared to invite. We cared to open the door, even asking specifically if you would come. Sure we, are no VIP or any big shot. But a simple no would have suffice, even if not accompanied by any reasons.

At the end of the day, I am thankful for the people who came, who enjoyed themselves and who went back fulfilled. It has no doubt been an enjoyable experience. But I feel a stirring in my heart to for the sake of my friends, as well as to Jerrome (the main initiator), to speak out so lessons can be learnt.

The money can be earnt back, the bbq can be held another time. But the mistakes once ignored will forever come back till the lessons are learnt.

No comments: